Friday, January 7, 2011

Celebrating One Year of Recovery

In Celebrate Recovery, recovery time is marked by taking chips...there is the first chip, a blue one, that is taken as a visible sign of the surrender of a particular area of recovery in a person's life.  Then there are chips to mark 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 6 months, 9 months and then subsequent years after that. 


There is nothing magical about the chips in themselves, they are just a tangible way to celebrate healing and 'sobriety' from our issues, but there is something pretty exciting about going forward to publicly mark that hard-earned recovery time.  There is something about seeing those chips and remembering the journey...they are a visible reminder of turning over very real problems to God...

It was one year ago this week that I count as the beginning of my journey of recovery...it was the date that I came out of denial about my childhood sexual abuse, began facing my problems head-on and made a very deliberate choice to trust God in all things.  Even though I wasn't in the Celebrate Recovery program at that time, I was still in recovery and all recovery 'counts'.  So tonight I get to pick up my first one year chip. 


I am so excited about this...I can hardly wait...and like the chip says, God's grace has been enough for me...

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Congrats.

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Thanks, Tracy...and thanks for stopping by!

Terri :o) said...

You go, girl! Next week I get to take my 5 year, but I really could have taken it this week, if you look at my blog it was 5 years ago I started that fast that led me to give up the life I had and move toward recovery. Every year gets better. I'm so thankful for God, CR and you! :)

Cindy said...

His grace is enough.
yet...how often I doubt!
love the button.
praising God!

Jamie Jo said...

Rejoicing with you! Enjoy the snow, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Becky, I can't thank you enough for talking about CR in your blog. I came home from the field for my vacation just an absolute wreck. A friend got in my business and told me that I needed to get some help. As that was sinking in, I read your earlier post where you referred to CR, and something clicked.

I just started a step study, have been in recovery now for about four months now. I should figure it out more precisely so I can get my chips! : )

It's saving my life and my sanity and my ministry. And God used you to point me in that direction. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm commenting anonymously just because, you know. Can't find another way to connect to you on here.

Anyway, thanks.

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

@Anonymous...thank you for stopping by! I am humbled that God would use me to encourage you in some way...God is good! Thank you for letting me know, too, that is a tremendous encouragement to me today, especially! Thank you for sharing a little about your journey and how God has brought you healing through CR. I am so happy to hear that it has been a blessing to you! It would be really good to put a way to contact me privately on my blog, I will do that...in the meantime, you can email me at beckyaguirre@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you! Hugs!