Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Variation on Snowstorm

Last year, I had fun making a snowstorm to hang on the back of our front door. This year, however, I decided to use some of the paper leftover from the craft boxes to make colored garlands for my kitchen window. I will probably still make the white garlands for the door, though. I only have a couple of strands up so far...this would be so much easier if I had paper punches, but I don't, so at this point, I'm cutting out all these circles by hand!


I put some smaller circles on top
of larger circles to give dimension...I folded
the smaller circles and only glued the middle
crease to the larger circle for a 'butterfly' effect.

Some of the paper had some words and designs,
which worked well for the Christmas theme...
I also made some that are sort of a ball
shape out of four different circles...I have
instructions below.

Here are some of the colors I have so far...
this is scrapbooking paper, but you could also
use magazines, old calendars, wrapping paper,
construction paper or
even make your own decorated paper.
I use two circles per 'ornament' on the garlands,
so that they look pretty from either side.

For the 'ball' ornament, I took four circles,

and folded each of them in half.

Then I glued three of the folded circles together,
leaving the one side open
to glue in the string (or fishing line, in this case).
A glue stick would probably be better to use than
school glue, but it's all I have at the moment...the
garlands can be made with string, ribbon, dental floss,
fishing line, etc.

Then, I glued in the fourth piece to complete the ball.
I think I might have the kids make some of
these as ornaments for our
Christmas tree, too!

My little helper!

3 comments:

Norberto Kurrle said...

I love this idea and I want to try it out with our son. Thanks for sharing, Becky!

Cindy said...

Autumn and I are going to try this one. I have a snowflake punch..wonder how that would work?
gonna try it anyway.
Thanks for the idea!

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Julie, my kids love to make them, I think your son would really enjoy it!

Cindy, I think that the snowflakes would look really cool!

Be sure to post pictures when you are done! :)