Thursday, March 4, 2010

Luscious Lemon Squares

Every Wednesday, I make some sort of a dessert to send with Miguel to the small group we lead in our church. The kids and I can't always go because it makes for late night during the school year, but I do try to send a sweet something every week anyway. To my kids' delight, I usually try to make enough to keep some at home, too.

Yesterday, I was browsing through my Betty Crocker cookbook and decided to make Lemon Squares. I haven't made them in a long time and this was a new recipe for me. But wow! They turned out delicious and the recipe is fairly simple. So here you go.



Lemon Squares

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. grated lemon peel, if desired
2 T lemon juice
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, margarine, and powdered sugar. Press in ungreased square pan, 8 x 8 x 2 or 9 x 9 x 2 inches, building up 1/2-inch edges. Bake 20 minutes. Beat remaining ingredients until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Pour over hot crust. Bake until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center, about 25 minutes; cool. Cut into about 1 1/2-inch squares.

For Lemon-Coconut Squares: Stir 1/2 cup flaked coconut into egg mixture.

3 comments:

Shilo said...

I love lemon bars but I always forget about them! Maybe I will make some tomorrow night! :)
Also, thanks for the link above. I'm off to read that passage again. Love it and haven't read it in awhile. Thanks for the reminder!
Hugs,
Shilo

Cindy said...

you may have left something out of the list of ingredients...like maybe eggs?
just checking :)

Rebecca Conduff Aguirre said...

Cindy, you are right!!!! LOL bigtime! AND the sugar! My goodness...I'm sick today with a cold, so am obviously not at 100%. But I fixed it now. :) Thanks for pointing that out.

Shilo, glad you like that passage, too, it really is one of my favorites. Scripture is just so chock full of gems like those verses, it's hard to keep them all in mind! :)